Thursday, September 25, 2008

One Little Heartbeat at a Time



I took a breather today and just sat on the couch and
watched Aiden toddle around the living room. There were
so many things racing though my mind as I watched him.
I must admit that I wondered to myself if I was up to the
challenge of raising him. If I could work full time and
still be to him the Mother he so deserves to have. I
thought about his future, his numerous medical tests and
procedures. I wondered how we would pay all the deductibles
and co-pays. I wondered and worried about everything from
present day all the way to college and beyond. And of course,
I thought about his past. I thought about his life in the
orphanage and shuttered to think about what his life must have
been like there. In that moment when I felt so overwhelmed
by emotion I had to shake myself back to reality and say
"Mel, focus on TODAY", this moment, this chapter of his life.
Yesterday is gone, only God knows about tomorrow, but I have
THIS moment right now! It was then that I realized my role.
Though I did not give Aiden his life, I can CHANGE his little
life starting now... one little heartbeat at a time.

3 comments:

Anita Marie said...

Oh Mel, your updates have put me in fits of laughter. You sound just like me. I can sit thinking and worrying myself right through the future in just a few minutes of day dreaming. Just take one day at a time. I know God has planted this seed of love in your heart for Aiden. And what God plants, He waters and feeds. God will provide and guide you all the way. Time flies so enjoy each step of the journey.

(Thanks for your encouraging and understanding words on my blog.)

Maresa said...

How beautiful!!! This was a touching post. Anita is so right. what God has planted, He waters and feeds. How comforting is that? hang in there. You and Rob have been choosen to change this little life and I know you will do an awesome job!!

The Youngs said...

Mel, I enjoyed your bathroom story. That is too funny. I have been there. I had Ashley all bathed and in her pjs when she climbed in with Lauren. I actually have pictures of it. Your blog about your fears really touched me. Thank you for being so honest. Hang in there!!! You and Rob have done a great job with Shaelyn. He will help you through every step of Aiden's life too. We love ya. Christine