Thursday, May 05, 2011

Two Mommies

This evening I picked up Aiden and put him on my lap. I wrapped
my arms around him and told him that I loved him. I told him
that I was so glad that I was his Mommy. He very matter-of-factly
stated, "I have Two Mommys". Knowing that I had not yet told
him the "birth mom" story, I begin to ask questions to
see what he would tell me. I asked him where his other mommy was
and he said "China". He then begin to tell me (without being questioned)
some things that I find very hard to believe that he would
remember from China. He was only 20 months old when he
joined our family. It is impossible for a child to "remember" anything
that young - right? He told me (through very broken language) that
his other mommy helped him when he was a baby. He said she held
him, put him in a swing, fed him baby food and made him take a nap.
Knowing that Aiden had been in an orphanage with many other
babies I asked, "Were there any other babies that your other mommy
had?" He shook his head "yes" and said three babies. Ironically we
have several pictures (Aiden has not seen - in a safe) that shows him
in the orphanage in a crib with 3 other babies. I immediately thought
maybe Shaelyn had told him all these things so after Aiden went to
bed I asked Shay about it. She said no that she had not talked to him
about that. Coincidence? Maybe, but it sure gave me goosebumps!
What can a child "remember" at 20 months of age? ????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had Nathan tell me things that he did when he was in daycare and that was around 28 months of age maybe? It is weird. When he tells me I think there is no way he could remember but he did.